Eat Smart New York
FOOD AND NUTRITION EDUCATION IN COMMUNITIES (FNEC) - EAT SMART NEW YORK (ESNY)
Nutrition Programs for Delaware County families, seniors and youth.
Eat Smart New York (ESNY) is a statewide program aimed at youth and adult audiences who are applying for or receiving Food Stamps. The program strives to improve health and quality of life in several important ways. Participants are taught how to select and prepare nutritious meals and snacks, how to manage household budgets to improve self-sufficiency, keep foods safe to eat and to increase physical activity. Participants learn how to grow and prepare vegetables in our successful Container Gardening and Community Gardening projects. Program Educators are available to give lessons in a group setting or on an individual basis. Click here for the ESNY Enrollment Form to learn more about how to enroll in these free home-based lessons that will help you eat better, do better, and feel better! Lessons can take place in participant homes, worksites or community centers.
ESNY Newsletters are loaded with nutrition information! See current and past newsletters below:Shrink Your Sodium Intake - Winter 2013Make Half of Your Grains Whole Grains - Fall 2012Drink Water Instead of Sugary Drinks - Summer 2012Healthy Eating Doesn't Need to Be Expensive! - Winter 2012YOUTH PROGRAMS
- Each summer and throughout the year, Cornell Cooperative Extension offers a series of six lessons to pre-school and school age youth groups. Headstart/youth after school and community youth groups participate in hands-on cooking, chef clubs and nutrition/fitness lessons. Curriculums used for Eat Smart New York Youth programs include Color Me Healthy (preschool and kindergarten), Jump Into Food and Fitness (school age), Eat Fit (teens) and Cooking Up Fun (school age youth and teens).
- Eating Right Is Basic or Eating Smart Being Active - Six to ten lessons on nutrition and physical activity for adults who want to learn the basics of healthy meal planning, shopping/food preparation skills, reading food labels, weight management, selecting foods and exercise for their health.
- Eat Smart, Live Strong - A series of six lessons for seniors who want to learn how to reduce sodium in their diets, increase fiber in their diet and choose healthy fat and foods to eat based on MyPlate for older Americans.
- Healthy Children, Healthy Families: Parents Making a Difference! - Eight lessons on promoting healthy eating and active play for families with children ages 3-11. During these early years, influential adults are especially important role models and lifelong habits are developed.
- Sisters in Health - A nutrition program with hands-on food preparation to increase fruits and vegetables in a healthy diet.
- Money for Food - A food management program of six lessons to help adults track their income and expenses, prepare a budget and get the most nutrition for their food dollar.